We used http://habhub.org/calc/ to find things like starting balloon volume, ascent rate and burst altitude. Then we used http://habhub.org/predict to predict where the balloon would burst and land based on our starting position and predicted weather patterns. This led us to a launch point in Sturgis, SD.

Winds were a little high, 15-20 mph with some strong gusts. We used a garage tent to try to keep the balloon somewhat safe from the wind and debris. The tent needed to be held as the anchors weren't strong enough but otherwise worked well.

After testing our transmitting equipment, filling and testing buoyancy against our 2.5kg weight to obtain the target volume/ascent rate we attached the payload we attached the balloon to the top of the parachute we waited for a semi dead spot in the wind and set it off.